5/8/09

Part 3: THE START OF JOURNEY - WEEK ONE

After a very a pleasant drive to Toronto with two other patients and our Canadian Cancer Society driver Alexis, we started to find that the traffic was slowing down around the 401 area. After a few detours across the 400 highway southbound lanes, we headed down Black Creek Drive and made our way zig zag style down to Princess Margaret Hospital.
FIRST WEEK OF 35 RADIATION TREATMENTS
I was early enough to get a coffee before heading down to level 2B unit 5 for my first radiation treatment. My mask was waiting for me and after a few adjustments, my head was locked down. The technicians promised that mouth and eye holes would be cut out for Tuesdays treatment. (Pictures of my mask are posted below)
The whole process only took about 20 minutes during which time the machine moved around and made strange sounds. Sounds that I will become totally familiar with by the end of my 7 weeks of treatment. Afterward I waited in the lobby and at 12 noon got on the Princess Margaret Hospital Lodge bus in time to have a nice lunch before my orientation session with the nurse. The lodge is quite amazing with lounges on every floor, large TV’s with comfy couches and chairs, excise and pool room, plus resource room with two high speed computers fro us to use and beautiful grand piano. After watching 2 hours of Dancing with the Stars and making a bunch of new friends it was time for my first night sleepover.
FIRST OF 3 TREATMENTS OF CHEMOTHERAPY
Today was my second radiation and my first round of chemotherapy with Cisplatin. For this procedure I stayed over night on the 18th floor of Princess Margaret Hospital.
After being hooked up to my iv monitor machine, a fluid drip was started which meant running to the bathroom almost every 10 minutes. Chemo started in the afternoon along a bunch of liquid drugs thought the iv to minimize the nausea and vomiting. I was fortunate and had no adverse reaction and by 7 am the following morning I was making tea for my room mate and myself. At last I was finally unhooked from my travelling iv monitor and so after breakfast I said goodbye to my roomy and now friend Joseph, and proceeded down to the basement for my 3rd radiation treatment.


John Lawrence and Joseph Whitfield









The radiation staff kindly took the following photos of the mask that I wear during the radiation process. I have 9 beams daily and the mask is to hold my head in a fixed position. In the actual process I would be laying down and then lined up with by laser beams so that the radiation beams are completely on target. Each patient has a mask formed to the contours of their face and at the end of the process, gets to keep it. (Only 6 weeks left)


I'm not sure which picture is the scariest
















(Click on the photo for a larger image and you will see some of the laser beams used for alignment)

2 comments:

  1. Sharon Packard5/9/09, 9:18 AM

    Wow,John! Thanks for being real and sharing what it is really like. I look forward to following your journey. I've been watching Tony's journey as well with his brain anoresym. It's times like this that proves God is real. That is amazing about your son and wife! It's like God wanted to show himself real right at the start so you wouldn't be scared. I'd be just like you and confessing every known and unknown sin. Times like this shows what's really in our hearts. You've laid yourself a good foundation over the years. God is going to show you a whole new side of Himself. I'll be praying. You CAN do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tarryannie@hotmail.com5/13/09, 3:18 PM

    Very brave of you doing a mask shot, hopefully that will help break the fear for others that may have to pass through the experience. Its a privilege to share your Journey - we are praying for you and willing you on through the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete