6/22/09

FINAL WEEK AND ALSO THE HARDEST


(John and Michael Lawrence - June 19th, 2009)

This final week, week number 7, has been tough. I found it very painful to swallow or cough and even talking became difficult so I decided to stop taking phone calls and only speak where necessary. Text messages and emails worked well to keep in touch with most members of my family and friends. I stayed in my room most of the time and watched videos and slept a fair amount. As I had my feeding tube, I didn't have to worry about eating in the dining room and could just hook up a bagged meal and watch a video.

3rd & Final Chemo
I was supposed to have my final chemo on Monday but as my blood cell count was down, it was postponed until Thursday. Having chemo on Thursday evening and over night was cutting things a bit close, but I was determined to have may last radiation on Friday morning at 8am , get a taxi back to the lodge and catch my ride back to Wasaga Beach.

Friday was my 35th and final radiation treatment and at that point I graduated and got to go home. I even got to keep my scary mask as a souvenir of my journey and yes I was home in my cottage by about 3 pm on Friday afternoon. Oh what joy to be home and the great part was that my brother Michael had decided to drive up from him home in Picton to spend the weekend with me again. Even my cat sidrick seemed pleased that I was home although like most cats that was short lived and he soon returned to his bed to catch up on his sleep.

More to come of the first week of freedom later........

No comments:

Post a Comment