9/14/09

RECOVERY AND THEN HOME

Toronto General Hospital - 6th Floor Ward
Aftermath of my neck surgery
(Click on photos for larger image)


View of the neck surgery - Cut runs from just above the ear to the centre of my throat.


The next few days were spent recovering from the surgery. I found myself sleeping a fair amount but I guess that is part of the healing process. I walked a fair amount and also spent time on the computer. The nurses were constantly checking in and taking my blood pressure, heart beat and temperature and during the night they checked on us every hour. The key to getting home was the amount of fluid my neck drain put out. As soon as it puts out below 10cc's over 24 hours, the drain will be removed and the discharge papers issued by the doctor. My room mate lives in Brampton so had numerous visitors although he confessed that it was quiet tiring entertaining people all the time. In my case as I live 2 hours north of Toronto, I had no visitors so was glad that I took my DVD player with me. I spent the evenings watching some good movies which passed the time. Saturday I was unhooked from my IV drip which made it a lot easier to move around and on Sunday morning I had my neck drain removed and got my discharge papers. My son drove down to pick me up and by 1.30pm I was back in Wasaga Beach in my own home. I would like to express my sincere appreciation to all the Doctors, Nurses and hospital staff who made my stay as comfortable as possible. One lovely young lady saw my Bible on my bed and brought me a whole list of healing scriptures. My main nurse was Celeste who was just an amazing lady. Always happy and smiling and nothing I asked her to do was too much trouble. Thanks and God bless you Celeste for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment