5/24/09

Part 7a: THIRD WEEK COMPLETED - (May 19 - 22)

This was a short week as last Monday was a holiday. However, we still had to have the same number of treatments so Wednesday was catch up day; radiation in the morning and again in the afternoon. Also on Wednesdays I see Dr. Hope and have my weight checked and to my delight I had not lost any weight. I also learned that I only needed to take the liquid Codeine if I needed it. Great news, I haven't taken any all week. The greatest problem for me is eating and drinking as everything tastes absolutely awful. Obviously I have to eat, so I work on a constant trial and error basis and unfortunately the error side is winning. Simple food like mashed potatoes tastes a bit like wet cardboard. After it's eaten I clean my teeth, wash my mouth out with baking soda and have a drink of soda water then I'm OK for a while. The other side effect of the radiation is a dry mouth and so I constantly sip on liquids.

I leave for the Princess Margaret Hospital at 8.30 am tomorrow and have a lot to do tomorrow as after my radiation, I have to go to the blood lad to have blood taken, meet with Doctor Siu, then go to the 18th floor to have my second round chemotherapy treatment. This will again mean staying over night so I am looking forward to find out who my room mate will be this time.

This past week I had the pleasure of meeting and also saying goodbye to some great people. I guess I am becoming one of the old timers now as each week there are more new people arriving and I will be into my fourth week at the PMH Lodge. Time flys when you're having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment