8/27/09

GOOD NEWS BAD NEWS

My August check-up turned out to be another series of tests by four doctors and it was decided that the one lymph node left after the radiation should be removed surgically. Hence, on September 10th I will be going into Toronto General Hospital for a two hour procedure. I will stay in the hospital for about 24 to 48 hours after the surgery and then be able to go home. The problem is that there is no way to know whether there are any cancer cells in the nodes without removing them. Basically it's a win win situation as they have found over the past 10 to 12 years that where the nodes were left in, about 45% of patients died for the cancer starting up again. I am also going to TGH next Tuesday to the hearing clinic to see if my hearing loss resulting from the radiation is going to be permanent or temporary. Then back again on Thursday for my pre-admission work up for the surgery - ECG; x-ray; Blood tests etc. Unfortunately I couldn't get the appointments on the same day as it is over a two hour drive each way as the hospital in down town Toronto. But thanks to the Cancer Society, I will not have to drive myself . This is an amazing service provided free of charge to cancer patients. I anticipate the next update will be after my surgery. Please keep me in your prayers. Many thanks, John

No comments:

Post a Comment